My dinner last night.
- 3 cups uncooked medium egg noodles
- 1 pound trimmed sirloin (about 1 inch thick)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Cooking spray
- ½ cup port or other sweet red wine
- ¼ cup minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- ½ cup less-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
Cook noodles according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain. Keep warm.
While noodles cook, heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. SPrinkle both sides of steak with salt and pepper. Lightly coat steak with cooking spray. Add steak to pan, cook 4 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Transfer meat to platter. Keep warm.
Add port to pan, scraping to loosen browned bits. Stir in shallots and garlic. Cook 45 seconds, stirring frequently. Add beef broth, bring to a boil. Cook 20 seconds. Remove from heat. Add mustard and thyme, stirring wiht a whisk.
Cut steak diagonally across grain into thin slices. Serve steak and sauce with the pasta.