King Rat (gkr) wrote,
King Rat


I have a gift for Matt I never gave to him. I visited the baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown New York in 1997. One thing Matt and I shared is a love of baseball. His favorite player was Kenn Griffey Jr. I picked up a jersey from the Mariners with Griffey's number last year. The Mariner's stitched Bender on it. We buried him in that jersey. He collected baseball cards. So at the Hall of Fame I picked up a set of metallic souvenir cards. Not the same as real baseball cards, though. I gave him something else I picked up there, but waited to give him this. But I never did. So I was cleaning before pie night and found them. Gonna take them to his grave this weekend.

I don't remember if I posted this already, but Aubree posted her last memories of her mother, and it got me thinking to last year.

Matt had epilepsy. In fact, they had to rule it out as a cause of his accident. He wasn't able to get a driver's license for years because of it. So last year he finally had gone long enough without a seizure to get his license. And he had saved up enough money to be able to buy a truck. He drove Dan up here for Christmas last year. They got up to Seattle on Saturday the 22nd. Matt dropped Dan off at my place. We hung out there for a few hours. Matt had the same sunglasses as me. He wanted to show me his truck, but since it was dark out already, I told him I would see it on Christmas. I did get to see what was left of it the day after Christmas. Matt always hugged to hard. You always knew a Matt hug. He worked as a roofer for years. And then installing HVAC units. Hard work. He was tall, lanky, and well muscled. I told him I was working out. He bragged that he didn't have to work out. When he hugged you it was like getting squeezed by pillows with rebar in them. And he left to stay with friends. And I never saw him alive again.

I've been doing pretty good with this so far. Moments where I break down. Haven't since mid-November. But it felt like it was building up. I knew I wasn't going to make it through January without it. So here I am at work. I have to get some work done. I have to manage people. I have to answer questions about how to do their self-reviews. And I am all teary-eyed and red-faced and sniffly. I have a glass door and partially glass wall, so I can't just shut everyone out and have a few minutes to myself. I want to just take 3 weeks off and stay home crying. At least right now. I'll probably be together again in a half hour. But only for a while.

Yes, I have people to lean on. A few other people have offered. This evening could be when I take advantage of that.


  • Last post

    I don't plan to delete my LJ (I paid for permanent status, dammit), but this will be the last post. I don't plan to read it anymore, either…

  • The Fighting Lady

    The first image is a screenshot from The Fighting Lady at 6:55. The subject at that moment is the maintenance and operation of the ship's…

  • Operation Hailstorm

    Last summer my aunt requested the military file for my grandfather. It finally came through last month. I scanned all 600+ pages a couple weeks ago…

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened